Menu
Sign In Yabiladies Ramadan Radio Forum News
swine flu and the immune system
p
13 July 2009 10:49
in the uk all the cases of people who died of swine flu were linked to the fact that they had underlying health problems which weakened their immunity and defence mechanism against the virus
but the recent death of a young man in a very good health has changed this
the virus does not just kill people with deseases but has the ability to kill healthy people too
in UK newspapers today there are articles about this, because of this new development the whole UK population is going to be vaccinated (60 millions) before the winter months Oh
s
13 July 2009 10:57
yes that s right
and hopefully everything will be oksmiling smiley
p
13 July 2009 11:02
salma i wasn really concerned about this swine flu in UK i make sure i wash my hands and keep distance from people with flu like symptoms , if you see the news they always announce an other person has died but this person who died had underlying health problems and i did see many experts saying people with weak immune system die of the virus but healthy people the symptoms are mild and people recover easily but this now is irrelevant since the death of this young man in London who was in top shape and a keen sportsman , it is a bit worrying and alarming i hope this virus won t mutate in the winter months and build some sort of immunity against the vaccinsad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2009 11:06 by printemps1.
s
13 July 2009 11:17
yes i hope not
especially that i ve just found out yesterday that i m pregnantconfused smiley with my second child
p
13 July 2009 11:24
DanseDanse
wowwww congratulations yawning smileydon t worry every thing will be fine and you will have a beautiful bundle of joy smiling smiley
s
13 July 2009 11:25
thank you
but do you think i can do the vaccine even if i m pregnant?
p
13 July 2009 11:30
salma if you found out just yesterday you are pregnant you need to book an appointment with your GP so you can have your own midwife which will answer all your questions and if you will be vaccinated she will inform you
pregnant womens and babies are on top of the list you will be well looked after smiling smiley
p
13 July 2009 11:33
and don t forget if you need any dental work even cosmetic you can have it free now you are pregnant
we are spoiled in UK smiling smiley
s
13 July 2009 11:33
yes i know i booked an appointment for this thursday with my midwifesmiling smiley
p
13 July 2009 11:34
salma i ll MP
s
13 July 2009 11:35
sorry i didnt understandmoody smiley
p
13 July 2009 11:39
i sent you a private message check it outsmiling smiley
s
13 July 2009 11:40
m
13 July 2009 17:35
winter months will make this virus more lethal sad smiley
s
14 July 2009 10:52
k
17 July 2009 02:20
Teh H1N1 virus is already resistant to antiviral drugs in a few regions in the world. Bad omen !
s
17 July 2009 08:47
p
17 July 2009 11:40
in yesterday s news the health authorities announced: in UK 3000 to 65 000 may die during this coming winter because of this virus

in the same time they say you shouldn t panic everything is under control

then saying this: we don t have enough vaccin to all the uk population we only have half which will be delivered in August !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mixed messages OhOhOhperplexewhich will make people worry more sad smiley
s
17 July 2009 14:22
are you sure
that would be a disaster if they havent got enough vaccine for the whole british peoplesad smiley
p
17 July 2009 14:30
salma , did you watch the news channel 4 yesterday (john Snow) half an hour of the news was just about this they don t have enough vaccine for all the 60 millions(they will have half (30 millions )in Augustsad smiley
s
17 July 2009 14:38
well that s not good at allNo no
k
18 July 2009 17:54
Well, not everybody needs to be vaccinated. And vaccines are not harmless either. Remember in the 70s, when the H1N1 virus vaccine reportedly killed more people than the flu itself ? Something to ponder. Panicking and worrying is not the solution: keep away from people with flu like symtoms, wash your hands often, avoid scratching your nose, mouth or eyes with "unclean" hands, cough in tissues, and read a book (I recommend "The Yacoubian Building": a gem).
k.
s
19 July 2009 17:00
p
19 July 2009 21:07
the yacoubian building ? is there an english version of this book ?
i know keeping away from people with flu like symptoms is a good advice in theory but in practice it s impossible specially if you are sharing the same office with a colleague who is ill if there is an air conditioning contamination is inevitable , in a supermarket , cinema , public transport specially the underground, restaurant ............etc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2009 09:10 by printemps1.
s
20 July 2009 08:54
yes
they recon everyone is going to end up catching it soonCool
k
21 July 2009 06:38
Printemps1, I agree. it is hard to stay away from sick people, or I should say it's hard to keep them away from you. Of course, those recommendations will only reduce the risk of contamination...considerably. There is no 100% guarantee. It's like birth control and condoms.
I almost wisk I could catch it -not the condom, silly, the flu!- so that I can get it over with :-)

And yes, you can find The Yacoubian Building in English. That's how I heard about it on NPR. I read it in French. I could not put it away :-)

k.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2009 06:40 by koutiko.
s
21 July 2009 10:58
whateverHeu
p
21 July 2009 17:12
koutiko
Printemps1, almost wisk I could catch it -not the condom, silly, the flu!- so that I can get it over with :-)
k.

ptdrptdr

i had some bad flu about 3 months ago which lasted about 3 weeks , my doctor said it s hayfever i hope that was swine flu which mean may be i am immune from it now

it is scary and i worry more about family in morocco specially as we all know the health service there doesn t exist Ill

i hope everything will be ok .
k
22 July 2009 05:33
I also worry about my folks in Morocco. I worried a lot when our Ministre de la Sante in Morocco stated that we had plenty of vaccine, when there is none yet. That shows how "prepared" they are over there. Scary.
I am praying with my toes crossed knocking on the wood :-)
k.
k
22 July 2009 05:40
BY the way, I am surprised your doc didn't check you for the swine flu. ???
Join Yabiladi on Facebook