Menu
Sign In Yabiladies Ramadan Radio Forum News
Any comments on this piece in french
m
21 August 2006 15:22
c
21 August 2006 15:50
Well, Fouassa (in arabic) have always been the aristocracy in our country. I went to school with some of the Benjelloun, Sqalli, Bensouda...they were extremely attached to moroccan traditions under that western veneer which surprised me because they all spoke nothing but french, that's probably why they've have a bad press in popular circles (see Marock).
D
21 August 2006 16:28
Their strong attachment to old traditions has always had a negative impact on the interconnections between different regions, they push away whom ever belongs to a region different from theirs, this behaviour ruled during the period following the independance. though some fassi families are still relunctant to endorse different Moroccan encounters, this comportment becomes old fashioned in modern societies. In cities like Casablanca, Rabat, Marrakech where the economy is flourishing and money makes its own distinctions, the rules are somehow different, it only matters what is your social rank, your professional background, your personality and of course your wage. Your Last Name is only bells and whistles.
Y
21 August 2006 17:48
Very distinct group using a distinct variety of arabic which is at time a mix of french and darija/jablia smiling smiley Beautiful women and exellent Cuisine. The fassi, de souche, even if poor these days still senses/ projects this aura of aristocracy! The rolled 'R' in their speech distinguishes them from let's say the CASAOUI , knassi or Marrakchi...and that's a feature I like in their speech.
The arrogance known about the fassi shouldn't be a generalisation because the humble tribes that have become part of Fes bring balance to Fassi social picture...

Join Yabiladi on Facebook