Menu
Sign In Yabiladies Ramadan Radio Forum News
Sunday driver never took a test
H
2 August 2008 13:04
Salam

this line is a from the lyrics of a song by the dire straits "once upon a time in the west", and the reason why it is landing in the English forum is a dire straits experience of biking through our "routes nationales".

Yesterday, in the morning, i biked westward starting from marrakesh on the road leading to Essaouira and Agadir, and believe me, there is no such thing, especially in the mind of truck drivers, as respecting bikers or pedestrians, it was dangerous, i had to be careful as much as possible and pray for my poor soul everytime i heard a loud horn saying get out of the way you two-wheeled thing..

in the beginnng 5 or 6 KM there was enough margin to pedal on, after that, i had to get out of the road every 3 minutes, Luckily, i have intended beeforehand to take another road to a village called "Souihla" where i discovered highway works at about 16 km away from marrakeh..

anyway, all this to say that we have dangerous roads on which we kill more than the united states of agression do all over the world...the french word "chauffard" came to punctuate the old song, together with sweat and heat...

[www.youtube.com]

Salam
"The true traveller is without goal, it is the absence of goals which creates the ultimate traveller."Gao Xingjian 'Soul Mountain'
a
4 August 2008 11:04
Hicham

i hear you ,our road are taking lifes & for you to take your bike to that road is very brave of you !
I did see some foreigners cycling on the 203 road to Taroudant pass Mly Brahim ,i had to hold my breath ...
H
4 August 2008 11:24
Hi Si Atlas,

those roads are particularly dangerous, beyond Asni towards tizi n'tasset is also dangerous as the road gets narrower and more winding..i've been told roads were built all over the atlas, the one linking Imlil to Tidili was renovated..if it is true, i have to go and have a look..
"The true traveller is without goal, it is the absence of goals which creates the ultimate traveller."Gao Xingjian 'Soul Mountain'
a
4 August 2008 12:54
Salam all
I have too this phobia about our roads, Marrakech is not too bad compared to Casablanca.
So far I haven’t driven there I just rely on buses and taxis. Driving a car in my opinion is hard but riding a bike must be terrifying, walking can be dangerous too as drivers cut corners… sooner than later something must be done to improve the safety of our roads.
Hey!! We just keep talking; those roads have been like that since I could walk; I was knocked over by a cyclist on the pavement.
Adds adds jazz but never subtract music
H
4 August 2008 15:10
Salam adds

Actually, it happened outside Marrakesh, on the road leading to Agadir and essouira, inside the city is diffirent, the risk is intoxicaton or heat attack, i think traffic in Marrakech has worsened and became as impossible as casablanca, adding the chaos of bikes and motocycles...
a
4 August 2008 16:26
Dear Hicham
The way how people behave on the roads reflect the way how they think as well as individual and as a society as whole. It is all to do with educating the coming generations (as coincidence I am at work listening to fnayer yad al hanna and they are passing lots of messages I love this album) all the time through music TV cinema books and so on. Things will not happen strait away but will improve a bit for them; for us its too late I am afraid we had it that way and that way will stay for us.

Hallah yahfad al jamee3

AD D S
Adds adds jazz but never subtract music
H
4 August 2008 18:22
Well, it is not surprising since they tell you have to give bribery to get your driving license the first step regardless of whether you are qualified or not...also, people consider respecting the code as an insult, and when you are caught, all you have to do is give the "under-salaried" policeman money or a dozzen eggs or a chicken and you get along with it..
H
4 August 2008 20:12
Well, it is not surprising since they tell you have to give bribery to get your driving license the first step regardless of whether you are qualified or not...also, people consider respecting the code as an insult, and when you are caught, all you have to do is give the "under-salaried" policeman money or a dozzen eggs or a chicken and you get along with it..
a
5 August 2008 11:29
Si Hicham

I have not seeing any signs of this road being done from Imlil in April ! but in Ouirgane its looking better now as they widened the road ready for the inauguration of the Dam a couple of months ago !

As for improving driving it wont happened over night its a culture change that needed

Adds

You reminded me of the knocks i had back home by cyclists ,i recall about 3 & i did get slapped for it too ..Viva Labled
H
5 August 2008 13:06
Si Atlas,

actually, i was refering to the road linking imlil and tidili and then Agouim ouarzazate, someone told me there is works to make it better for traffic, anyway, i 'll have more news this weekend and i 'll tell you what 's up

cheers

Join Yabiladi on Facebook