Menu
Sign In Yabiladies Ramadan Radio Forum News
Why are they ignored by the international media?
c
8 May 2006 19:26
For those of us who don't read arabic, could you tell us what this about ? Thanks
T
8 May 2006 20:48
Ok, it's a long stroy, but I can summarise...

The www.manalaa.net site is the blog of a couple, Manal and Alaa, and as you could read in English, Alaa has been arrested as well as other bloggers and citizens who were participating in a demonstration. The demonstration was organised to express their solidarity with the judges. The judges had been protesting and helding a series of meetings because they had to supervise the last elections in Egypt and thus had noticed and reported some irregularities. As a consequence, some of the judges are being arrested and trialed!!!

The harakamasria.org is the official website of the "Kefaya" movement which started last year before the elections. Among the main objectives of the movement the "Cessation of the Emergency Law now in effect for a full quarter century" and "Allow for direct election by citizens of the President and Vice President of the Republic from within several candidates" as this has not been the case so far evenif Egypt is supposed to be a republic!!! you can read their manifesto in English here: [harakamasria.org]

The other websites contain the names of detainees as well as pictures of some of them while they were demonstrating encircled by police. They also describe how police had proceeded with arresting people after beating them and insulting them. The blogger who took the pictures and published them on his website could have been arrested as well. So, he's saying that more pictures actually went with Alaa to prison.

Well, this is not a one-day event, but it has been so for more than one year now and I was surprised that the media do not talk about it. It is also astonishing that people arround the world and particularly in Arab countries just dont care about what's going on there!!
the comment on the pre-last picture of the woman standing up in the middle of the policemen says that she was asking them to arrest her with her son!!!

I hope this short summary would be of some help.
c
8 May 2006 21:03
Thanks, and you're right , this is the first time I've ever heard of this.
c
9 May 2006 22:17
You´re right this is the first time I hear about this. Those guys fighting for their rights need all the solidarity and the back up the can get.
Usually, terrible things that are done with the excuse that progress requires them are not really progress at all, but just terrible things. Russell Baker
T
11 May 2006 12:04
It's really amazing that very few people know about what's going on. The demonstrations are now growing and some media start to tackle the subject. The judges are challenging the government to go on a strike if some of their colleagues are ceased. Here are some additional links...in English this time...

[hrw.org]

[www.sandmonkey.org]

Join Yabiladi on Facebook