Menu

Terrorism

New Zealand : A gunman kills 49 Muslim worshipers in two mosques

Estimated read time: 1'
A mass shooting in two mosques in New Zealand./Ph. DR

At least 49 people were killed and 20 others injured during Friday prayers in two mosques in New Zealand after a gunman opened fire on worshipers, reports Reuters.

The terror attack took place in Christchurch, a city located on the east coast of New Zealand’s South Island. A video was shared on social media, posted by the terrorist, showed him entering a mosque and opening fire on people inside.

The assailant was described as a «blond man, wearing a helmet and a bulletproof vest», said the same source.

Commenting on the deadly attack, New Zealand’s Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern described it as «terrorism» act. She said that «four people in police custody, three men and one woman, held extremist views but had not been on any police watchlists».

The Prime Minister said that 30 people were killed at Al Nour mosque and 10 others at a mosque in the suburbs of Linwood. The two attacks were carried by the same man.

According to the British press agency, the men arrested in New Zealand were in custody in Australia, Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison said.

Authorities in New Zealand have urged all mosques to shut their doors, the same source concluded.

Contacted, Friday, by Yabiladi, Alan Ross Meurant, the Honorary Consul of Morocco in New Zealand, said that there are no Moroccan victims involved in the attacks so far.

The diplomat told Yabiladi that the Moroccan consulate and Embassy in Australia are in constant contact with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in New Zealand, regarding that.

Be the first one to comment on our articles...