Menu
Sign In Yabiladies Ramadan Radio Forum News
Blair: The end of an era
M
27 June 2007 15:24
Hi,
Today Tony Blair is stepping down from the government after achieving his dream of serving a full 10 years!! I was watching the live broadcast on TV and I kept thinking of his political background, the sort of things he achieved, the numerous mistakes he made, the way he apologised for some of them, and defended himself for others and I suddenly felt very envious of such a system, where people are involved in the political life of a country, where the prime minister is responsible and accountable for his role, where people debate and suggest and get listened to. Are we likely to see something like this in our countries? Maybe we won’t live to see it but I wish there was the glimpse of a hope that someday things might change and that people will live in a harmonious and fair society. What do you think?
P
27 June 2007 16:25
He is an amazing person, the best public speaker of his generation. Everytime I listen to one of his speeches I can't help but feel fascinated and so impressed by him.

Britain has a tradition of producing the best politicians in the world, just think about Churchill and Tatcher. I think it's down to their ruthless parlamientary system, the PM has to go the house of commons every single day and argue with the opposition and sometimes his own MPs about current issues. In France, the president is leagally forbidden from entering the parlamient and in the US, the president goes to the congress once a year. No wonder Britain produces such outstanding politicians.

Irak will of course remain as a black stain on his record. I have no doubt that he meant well by going there, but the event overtook him (along with Bush).
M
27 June 2007 17:11
I'm not a big fan of Blair,for me like for many English people, he just lost his credibility by going to Irak but you're right Passerby, he was one of the most influential politicians of Britain. He did great things for GB, especially on a social level and has made England a model country for Europe. The peace process in Ireland was certainly his biggest achievement, just like the war on Irak was his worst mistake, and I felt very sorry when that happened because i knew it was the end of Labour's long and successful reign. I also agree that Britain's parliamentary system is what makes it work, you're right to call it ruthless indeed, the nearly gladiatorial sessions are at the same time amusing and fascinating to watch smiling smiley how many times have you watched a parliamentary session for Morocco? lol (sorry i'm just assuming you are Moroccan, i could be wrong!)
Anyway,what do you think of Brown? do you think he's up to the challenge?
c
27 June 2007 18:54
Minniemouse,

As long as we don't seriously fund education in Morocco, we'll have a useless legislative branch. The executive is no longer a problem, they've been hand picked by M6 and they are technocrats who for the first time in our history manage the economy professionnally.
However, the legislative branch is the result of a people's universal suffrage and it mirrors the population's level of understanding of a state political system.
Who really knows what an MP does on a daily basis, the role of a legislative branch ? I guess the percentage would be ridiculous in our country.
Furthermore, when it comes to civism, since I'm there a lot these days, I've noticed that the problem is no longer the administration in general but the average Moroccan himself. Respecting order, rules, regulations, is not something Moroccans do easily, you can build a modern infrastructure but if the average Moroccan doesn't understand that it is his because it has been publicly funded, he'll still deteriorate that infrastructure. It starts with throwing a wrapping paper on the street, simple things like that, a Moroccan does that because the thinking process that should tell him that in the end he'll pay the man who'll later sweep it, that thinking process is not yet engraved in his brain.

It's the beginning, then comes the accountability, that average Moroccan will ask where his tax money has gone. It has begun, I've seen it in the Souss region, the administration there is slowly being purged to put competent people in their posts and believe me I've spoken to some, their knowledge of their particular domain is impressive.
h
28 June 2007 00:11
More TAX then, I would expect!
I wonder when they will start charging us taking air to breath...Blair Listens, to whom? At least in Morocco, you know whom you are dealing with..
s
28 June 2007 02:30
Bush's doggy ! he won't get away with it ! there's an ultimate Judge who'll never forgive him his crimes against muslims, just wait and you'll see him pay for his crimes, he'll pay big !
M
28 June 2007 13:14
Hi Chelhman, you’re spot on! Without a reform in education, we won’t wake up from this state of lethargy we’re in at the moment. But before reforming the education system, we need to reform the mentalities and I will go further and say we need to reform the constitution and make people aware of it! I think the average Moroccan has always been the problem but whose fault is it? How can you expect people to realise that what’s been built belongs to them when these people are ignorant of their basic rights? People still beg and give money to get a birth certificate!!!!!! They don’t realise that getting the certificate is their right and they have the right to obtain it in time and free of charge! As for the tax, we are millions of years behind as to realizing it’s purpose. Moroccans rebel against tax because they are not taxed properly, they don’t see the benefits in education, health, pension etc..I don’t think we are rebellious by nature, we would respect the rules and regulations if they were set up properly, but when you don’t engage people in the change and don’t give them the opportunity to express their frustrations, well don’t expect anything else than riots and terrorism.

Join Yabiladi on Facebook