Menu
Sign In Yabiladies Ramadan Radio Forum News
Moulay Hicham
c
9 June 2006 05:54
Why isn't he doing this in Morocco ? We could have used the investment. I don't get it, I know he's an outcast but that green initiative could have endeared him to a lot of people. If you get it, please tell me, I'm lost here.

From the Bangkok post :
<<Prince invests in green fuel
UMESH PANDEY

Al Tayyar Energy, a company controlled by Prince Moulay Hicham Ben Abdallah of Morocco, plans to invest billions of baht in building eco-friendly power plants in Thailand in an effort to tap growing demand for energy in the country.

''We have already invested US$35 million in building the first phase of the project and over the three phases we plan to invest $100 million,'' HRH Prince Abdallah said during a visit to Bangkok to inaugurate A.T. Biopower, a power plant based in Phichit.

Apart from the expansion of this power plant, the company plans to invest in various biogas and biomass projects in Thailand and the region.

''We will have investments of $100 million for biomass projects in Thailand, another $25 million for biogas projects and other projects such as the expansion of our existing facilities in Korat [Nakhon Ratchasima],'' he said.

The 42-year-old self-described ''green prince'' said that although the investments were not as big as those seen in large-scale power plants, the return on investment and the internal rate of return (IRR) on the projects were well above 22% , something most other businesses would envy.

The success of some of these plants in his home country and now in Thailand has prompted the Princeton and Stanford University graduate to seek further opportunities in other parts of Asia.

''We are now looking at investing in Sri Lanka and India and both these projects would be around $200 to $250 million, and IRRs would be on the same levels as those we see in Thailand,'' he added.

These projects would be bigger than those in Thailand and would be based on bagasse, a byproduct of sugarcane.

The company is also planning on investing in plants that would run on palm oil and rubber byproducts in Thailand and in Malaysia in the near future.

The prince, who started his renewable energy company in 1999, said demand for cleaner fuel sources was on the rise. The ongoing uncertainty about rising fuel prices made it important for countries to start looking at renewable energy sources.

''These green projects make good financial and economic sense and there's a lot of demand for these projects. This is not just an untapped market but an under-tapped market with huge potential.''

The company has already set up a biogas division called TBEC (Thailand Biogas Energy Company) in Nakhon Ratchasima.

''The concept is very straightforward. We go for firms that produce natural resources and their wastes, and instead of it being disposed off without adding value, we transform the gas into methane and that is used to produce electricity and sold back to the company and to Egat.''

The plant in Nakhon Ratchasima produces three megawatts of electricity and another five MW of thermal heat. There is enough gas to increase capacity further. >>

Correction : he's actually already doing it but still there's never enough :

[www.altayyarenergy.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2006 06:35 by chelhman.
a
9 June 2006 08:49
It’s really our loss that he’s not doing it in Morocco, but I’m sure he has his reasons as to why, one of which, I should add, what the news media keep writing about his relationship with the palace. And man, Morocco could use these projects they’re doing with Thailand.
There was a time when I think I read too much garbage that I thought too little of him, no more; I like what he’s been doing with the UN and now with his company and the environment, and recently, I liked his answer about the reason why he wanted to pay the court fees for Aboubakr Jamai. I hope Morocco won’t loose someone of this caliber for so long.
Almot
m
9 June 2006 08:51
Dear Chelhman,
In order to invest in Morocco you have to have some good relations with decisions maker (King..etc).
You need also to be convinced about long term political stability in the country. The last criteria is about the infrastructure which help the business to be successful. In the particular case of Moulay Hicham, I think he would like to make his businesses far away from the place where his father make his wealth through power abuses. Any money he can make in Morocco will have some kind of smell. One should have some understanding for his decision
Take care
c
9 June 2006 09:12
Hi Krim,

There's a lot to be done in the non-profit sector, let's take the water problem for instance, from Sidi Ifni on down, you have the ocean on one side and the desert on the other, a desalinisation project to irrigate could be one area where his company could have invested. I myself am thinking of starting something in that area. An initiative from someone like him could help bring more awareness to the problem.
As for the question of the smell of the money, by definition it does not arise in the non-profit sector since he wouldn't be there to make money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2006 09:21 by chelhman.
m
9 June 2006 10:21
Hi
the link can be of interest to you Chelhman

[www.desline.com]'

$2 billion to be invested in Morocco's
water resources up to 2007

The EuroMed 2004 Exhibition will be staged in Marrakech, Morocco from 30 May to 2 June 2004. The exhibition and seminar programme will be staged alongside the Euromed Conference organised by the European Desalination Society.

There is a growing water market all along the North African coast, and this event will allow manufacturers and service providers in the water and wastewater sector to make their presence felt in a country whose Atlantic coast water plants recorded a peak output of 1 million cubic metres a day in August 2003.

In July, the Moroccan state-owned drinking water company (ONEP) announced an investment of US$2.1 billion in its 2003-2007 work plan to develop the supply of water resources across the nation. Of this, $705 million would be allocated to rural drinking water projects, while $989 million would go to urban areas. Sewage disposal in 81 cities will be improved through investment of another $410 million. The government is committed to supplying drinking water to 90% of rural populations by 2007.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2006 10:24 by Krim.
c
9 June 2006 10:33
Thanks Krim, I read the pdf, there is some valuable information since I'm considering a non-profit desalination project but on a tinier scale compared to the juggernaut of Laayoune.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2006 11:17 by chelhman.

Join Yabiladi on Facebook