Menu
Sign In Yabiladies Ramadan Radio Forum News
Name on passport
M
24 April 2008 14:18
Hi all, I'd like to know if it's possible to have 2 passports with 2 different names? don't freak out i'm not talking about fraud or misleading the home office grinning smiley

I'd like to apply for my passport in Britain but don't know if i should use my maiden name or my huband's name? my moroccan passport bears my maiden name of course as well as my ID card but since i got married i go by my husband's name so all my documents (NI number, bank accounts etc) have my husband's name on them. Is it better to keep my maiden name on my british passport so it'll be like my moroccan one or shall i put my husband's name? alternatively, can i add his name to mine to make it a composed name?? hope i'm making myself clear!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2008 02:20 by Minniemouse.
There is no sincerer love than the love of food. George Bernard Shaw
c
24 April 2008 14:27
Hi Minniemouse,

If it's allowed in British law, the solution of the hyphenated name is nice, that way you'll have them both. But the Moroccans won't accept it, next time you renew your documents at the consulate, you'll lose your maiden name.
M
24 April 2008 14:46
Hi Chelhman, i also think it's nice to have both names but why would the Moroccans cancel my maiden name? my morrocan passport is separate and i think to keep it so as far as the Moroccan consulate is concerned, that is the only document along with my morrocan ID card which proves my Moroccan identity right?
c
24 April 2008 15:03
Hi again, the change will only occur when you renew your moroccan passport, as long it is valid you have no problem. But once it has expired and you go for renewal, they'll ask if you're married, and if so, can't bear your maiden anymore.
a
24 April 2008 16:05
Now here is my favourite subject. Names
Cutting a long story short I have changed them both during the late eighties. Now I have two passports with different names. I only use the British one for my travels as I have relinquished my Moroccan names (as far as UK is concerned)
The problem is faced in Morocco (My ID card still have my old name) we are not allowed to change names like in Europe without a large sum of money and a court case.

Last time when I visited in January 08; questions after question luckily I kept cool and confronted them with the correct answers.

I have waited over £200 on renewing my Moroccan passport but never used it next time I will not renew it.
Let me know if you want any further info.

\\\\////
Adidas Best
a
24 April 2008 16:16
Minniemouse

Keep it simple & have your British passport as the Moroccan Id + your naturalisation Cert will have that name any way ! i believe you will need it before applying for the passport
M
24 April 2008 16:22
Chelhman, i don't think the moroccans will force me to change my name, i've renewed my moroccan passport last year and they didn't make any fuss...

adds, thanks for confusing me even more mate!grinning smiley I don't want to change my moroccan name or ID, i'm only asking about acquiring the british passport, the home office asks you to put any name you want as long as you have documents to prove that it's you (in my case my marriage certificate) so there should be no problem in this regard. I was more asking for "practical" reasons, having my husband's name makes life easier if we want to have a joint account, travel etc..

hey i just figured out the answer myself lol, i'll keep my maiden name on the moroccan passport and use my married name on my british one. smiling smiley
c
24 April 2008 16:32

Minniemouse
Chelhman, i don't think the moroccans will force me to change my name, i've renewed my moroccan passport last year and they didn't make any fuss...

You got lucky, it's an oversight by the employee at the consulate. By law, moroccan women bear their husband's name. We don't exactly have a progressive legal system when it comes to these matters.
a
25 April 2008 11:28
That is what I was talking about if you have your British passport different from your National ID there will be questions at the customs in Morocco.
I have changed mine all together and kept the Moroccan documentations separate from the British ones. When in Morocco I am me in UK the new me. perplexe

\\\\////

Adidas Best
M
25 April 2008 12:15
adds
That is what I was talking about if you have your British passport different from your National ID there will be questions at the customs in Morocco.
I have changed mine all together and kept the Moroccan documentations separate from the British ones. When in Morocco I am me in UK the new me. perplexe

\\\\////

Adidas Best

Ok Dr Jeckyll and Mr Hyde, i understand better now smiling smiley

It shouldn't be a problem for me in Morocco since i travel with my Moroccan passport and ID, they don't even have to know that I am British.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2008 12:20 by Minniemouse.
a
25 April 2008 14:22
The thing is UK new law saying one should have only one passport. As you know now we have to pay for the restriction to be removed from the Moroccan passports at the home office. I heard if you take/ send it to them they will keep it and you only receive a letter.
I haven’t done that myself yet as I prefer to travel only with the British as its easier. To gain access to my country of origin should be with the ID only to call up the “quasi judiciaire “. The passport is only a mean of gaining entry to other countries.

\\\///
Adidas true love
M
25 April 2008 14:48
Blimey! they'll be mad to do that! what sort of law says you can't keep your national passport?? that's like robing you of your identity!! i will call the home office to enquire about this and let you know.
a
25 April 2008 16:40
They are not saying you can't have dual nationality but insisting that everyone to only need one passport for your travel that's what they are concern about. Hey ho who cares as long as at the customs they stop giving hustle over it in Morocco?

Regards

\\\///

Adidas Best

Join Yabiladi on Facebook