Menu

Flash News

Guerguarate : Morocco attached to ceasefire, reserves right to react with «severity», Foreign Minister says

Morocco's Foreign Affairs Minister Nasser Bourita. / DR
Estimated read time: 1'

Morocco reaffirmed its attachment to the ceasefire, while reserving the right to react with «the greatest severity» against any threat to its security, said Minister of Foreign Affairs, International Cooperation and Moroccans Abroad Nasser Bourita.

In an interview published Monday by the European bimonthly «The Parliament Magazine», the minister recalled that since 2016, the «Polisario» militias have repeatedly carried out illegal acts, in particular the racketeering and banditry in the buffer zone of Guerguarate and east of the defense wall.

«Last month, these militias took the decision to further intensify their disregard for international law by blocking the movement of goods and people between Europe and West Africa, via Morocco in Guerguarate», he said.

«Morocco has shown extreme restraint and is still exercising restraint, not out of weakness but rather because it is a responsible actor that promotes a multilateral and institutional way of dealing with issues of strategic importance to the region», he explained.

He underlined Morocco's direct engagement with the UN Secretary General and members of the Security Council, «by seeking to put an end to the bellicose behavior of the Polisario militias».

After the failure of these attempts, Morocco decided to act within the framework of its rights and duties, underlined Bourita, specifying that this non-offensive operation, without any bellicose intention, was carried out according to clear rules of  engagement, to restore free movement.

Be the first one to comment on our articles...