Menu

Flash News

Finland : The Moroccan knife attaker’s trial starts Monday

The Moroccan knife attaker’s trial starts Monday in Finland./Ph. DR
Estimated read time: 1'

The trial of Abderrahman Bouanane, a Moroccan asylum seeker accused of killing two people and injuring 8 others during a stabbing attack on the 18th of August in Turku, has opened Monday, 9th of April, in Finland, said the Associated Press.

The accused was taken today to a courtroom in Turku, where the attack took place. Bouanane, 24, is charged with «two counts of terror-related murder and eight counts of attempted murder with a terror-related motive», said the same source.

The Finnish police indicated in February that Bouanane committed the stabbing-attack motivated by hatred and that he has been influenced by the «heavy bombardments by the Western-led coalition in Syria last year», stressed Associated Press.

During the preliminary hearings, the Moroccan national did not admit any terrorist motive, according to his lawyer, Kaarle Gummerus who claimed last year that «(his client) admits manslaughter and injuries ... But what the investigator has brought up this far may not be enough to classify this as a terrorist crime».

For the record, prosecutors are seeking a life sentence for Bouanane.

Be the first one to comment on our articles...