Menu
Sign In Yabiladies Ramadan Radio Forum News
Global Warming, Global What??!!!
a
30 April 2006 02:01
Should the poor countries of the world, fighting just to shelter and feed themselves worry about global warming?
The signs of global warming are clear, and the facts that we are destroying earth are overwhelming; unusual heath waves, Oceans are warming and rising to eat coastal cities, the melting of Glaciers is another sign, new diseases, changes in seasons arrivals and lastly prolonged droughts.
It’s known that we do not, in third world countries, pollute as much as developed and rich countries do, but shouldn’t we care since the results are going to be global? Shouldn’t we talk about it since our country has a coastline of more than 2000 kilometers and global warming can cause our Morocco to go under water?
Or should we just be optimistic and pray that it’ll never come to that?
I think it’s the single most important threat to human race and earth…goulou salama!!!!

Almot

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2006 03:00 by almotanabi.
Y
30 April 2006 06:33
Global warming is real and has been happening for a while now, but if the super powers of the world don't do anything about it, I don't think the rest of the third world, who's struggling with poverty, mass killings..., would!

If the US, as the leading super power doesn't make it a priority to stop or find ways to deal with GW, I don't think it'll get done! may be if the Democrats get back to their roots and make GW a main issue and show the voters the dangers of GW, just may be, they will regain the House and senate and take care of it! because as of now GW (George walker) doesn't beleive it's happening!!! eventhough you could fry an egg on the glaciers of Alaska these days!!!!

if The fury of Katrina and co is not a clear warning, then I don't know what is!
As to the third world, well,may be praying is all there is to do, because it's the easy way for soul comfort! How can we pass the message of GW to ppl in Sudan, or all sub saharan coutries while they are suffering from Hunger and tribal struggles! too many questions, very few answers! But I always go back to how I started: Things get done if the super powers focus and talk about them! For the time being, GW is not a priority for them!
c
1 May 2006 14:55
The cause of global warming is not the third countries. USA for example stands alone for 40% of world´s entire air pollution. The major part of the remaining 60 % is produced by industrialised countries " western civilasations". G.W. Bush denied to follow the steps of Kyoto agreement, signed by former president Bill Clinton. Even though Clinton´s administration promissed to live up to it G.W. Bush rejected, because as he said, and I heard that with my own ears, " It doesn´t make a sense to the american economy".
The point is nobody says that taking care of our environement should be the cheepest expense we have. Add to that that different countries have each a kvota, of how much pollution they may release to nature. That way one can limit pollution. Countries or governements that cannot keep pollution down must pay a high price. But at the same time one allows other countries to sell their kvota of pollution if they don´t use it. That wouldn´t help to solve a problem cause some european countries, while they complain about the US behaviour, they buy other non develloped countries kvota so that they pollute what third countries didn´t manage to do.
Third countries shouldn´t have any bad consciens because of that.

cali
Usually, terrible things that are done with the excuse that progress requires them are not really progress at all, but just terrible things. Russell Baker

Join Yabiladi on Facebook