The World Bank announced Thursday that it will work with countries in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region to help them cope with the health emergency linked to the new coronavirus pandemic (Covid-19). The World Bank will allocate funding to the MENA region, as well as «policy advice, and technical assistance to help countries cope with the urgent health needs of the pandemic and slow the spread of the disease», the group said in a press release. Thus, for the Kingdom,
On Monday March 16, the Ministry of National Education announced the start of distance learning and teaching programs after the Moroccan government shut down schools and universities to avoid the spread of the novel coronavirus. Students were directed to the internet and TV for their courses and classes. How does it translate for students in impoverished rural areas ?
The first confirmed coronavirus cases recorded in the city of Marrakech left the hospital Wednesday after they fully recovered. The French couple Laurent and Jennifer Balestra and their nine-month old daughter tested positive for coronavirus while in Morocco on March 8. The family has «fully recovered» and will return to France on a special plane chartered by their country, AFP reports. The 51-year-old real estate agent who lives in the suburbs of Paris had felt unwell on his
Twenty-seven (27) new coronavirus cases were confirmed in Morocco between Thursday night and Friday, bringing to 735 the total number of Covid-19 infections in the country, the Health Ministry said. The number of deaths related to the virus has amounted to 47, while that of recoveries is at 49. In addition, the total number of cases excluded after testing negative of the virus is 2,983, the same source indicates. The confirmed cases are located as follows : Casablanca-Settat (217), Marrakech
The number of confirmed coronavirus cases reached 708, Thursday, in Morocco, the health ministry announced in an recent update. In a Facebook post, the ministry added that the number of suspected cases who tested negative for this virus has reached 2,916. Meanwhile, the total coronavirus-related deaths has jumped to 44. Five new recoveries were also recorded in the last 24 hours, bringing the overall recoveries to 31. As for the locations of the confirmed cases, the health official said
While several stores are closed in these times of health emergency in Morocco, several businesses have chosen to provide home delivery services, which encourage local residents to stay home. In Casablanca these businesses have seen their activities boosted during the lockdown.
Morocco’s Food Bank is a non-profit, charitable organization that distributes food to those who have difficulty purchasing enough to avoid hunger. The NGO is adapting to the current situation, with several families trying to survive the drawbacks of the coronavirus lockdown.
22 new confirmed coronavirus cases were recorded in Morocco in the last 24 hours, bringing to 676 the total number of confirmed infections, the Health Ministry announced Thursday. The number of coronavirus-related deaths has reached 40, while that of recoveries stands at 29. 2,726 suspected coronavirus cases have tested negative for the virus so far, the same same source said. The 676 cases are located as follows : Casablanca-Settat (188), Marrakech Safi (126), Rabat Salé
In a heart-warming initiative, Moroccan-born Chef Khalid Dahbi has opened one of his restaurants in London to cook food for the poor and the city’s homeless people amid the novel coronavirus outbreak. During the lockdown, the Rabat-native and some of his employees who volunteered to take part to this initiative, prepare food boxes that they deliver across the city. Speaking to London-based newspaper Asharq Al-Awsat, Chef Dahbi said that he rented five mini vans to make his mission
The Security Council unveiled its program for the month of April on Wednesday. In common agreement with the UN Secretary-General and the Dominican Republic, which heads the Council for this month, a meeting on MINURSO has been scheduled for April 9. Usually, matters related to Western Sahara are discussed at least three times by the Security Council before the adoption of a new resolution extending the mandate of MINURSO for six months or an additional year. The Security Council had already